Daniel Kendi ’16/Emertainment Monthly Videogames Editor
Disney recently announced the closing of LucasArts, the game developing division of Lucasfilm. The developer and publisher has made many memorable games throughout its history and will be missed. To reflect on this announcement, here are our picks for the top ten LucasArts games.
1. Star Wars: Knights of the Old RepublicKnights of the Old Republic brought Star Wars into a new era thousands of years before the films. The RPG gave players the chance to become a Jedi in the Old Republic and experience what it’s like to fight the Sith. The story itself was well written, with a mystery that culminates in one of the greatest twists in videogame history.
2. Star Wars: Battlefront IIThe second entry in the Star Wars: Battlefront series took the amazing aspects of the first game and made them even better. Players could fly ships in space levels and fight as the Jedi and Sith on land. The story mode of the game was made more interesting and engaging and the multiplayer was larger than ever. The multiplayer of this game was so popular that it is still played today.
3. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi AcademyJedi Academy takes place years after the Star Wars film saga as players take control of Jaden Korr, a student at Luke Skywalker’s Jedi Academy. This first person game continues the amazing gameplay of the Jedi Knight series and also includes Kyle Katarn, the protagonist of the other games in the series. The multiplayer of this game was praised for its Jedi vs Jedi combat.
4. Star Wars Rouge Squadron II: Rouge LeaderRouge Leader was a Gamecube launch title that focused on the amazing spaceship combat of the Star Wars films. Players took control of Luke Skywalker and Wedge Antilles as they flew X-wings, Y-wings and Rebel starfighters to fight the Galactic Empire. The game had amazing gameplay and graphics that made players feel like true Rouge Squadron pilots.
5. Star Wars: Republic CommandoRepublic Commando puts players in control of a group of Clone commandos known as Delta Squad during the Clone Wars. The game was a huge change from other Star Wars games, as it was a first person shooter. Influenced by games like Halo and Metroid Prime, Republic Commando was a strong fps with an engaging campaign and addictive multiplayer.
6. Star Wars: The Force UnleashedThe Force Unleashed takes place in between the third and fourth Star Wars films, and puts players in control of Starkiller, Darth Vader’s secret apprentice. The focus of the game was Starkiller’s amazing force powers and this was reflected in the gameplay. Players had control of a powerful Jedi who could easily destroy the environment around him and even lift a Star Destroyer with the force. The game had an interesting story that added new layers to the Star Wars saga, and gameplay that made the player truly feel like a powerful Jedi.
7. The Secret of Monkey IslandThe Secret of Monkey Island is a point-and-click adventure game that is one of LucasArts’ few non Star Wars games. Players take control of Guybrush Threepwood, a pirate wannabe who learns about the ghost pirate LeChuck and the mysterious Monkey Island. The game is widely acclaimed for its gameplay, puzzles, and humourous story.
8. Star Wars: TIE FighterTIE Figher is a space flight simulator set in the Star Wars universe, and is a sequel to Star Wars: X-Wing. Players take control of Galactic Empire ships during the original Star Wars trilogy. The game is highly acclaimed for its graphics and gameplay, and is considered one of the best space combat games in the industry.
9. Lego Star Wars II: The Original TrilogyThe sequel to Lego Star Wars takes the amazing gameplay and fun of the first into the original Star Wars trilogy. Players explore familiar locations in lego form and solve puzzles as hundreds of Lego Star Wars characters. The hub world of the game is especially memorable as it is a recreation of the Cantina from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.
10. Star Wars: Empire at WarEmpire at War is a real time strategy game set in the Star Wars universe. Players take control of the Rebel Alliance or Galactic Empire as they fight for control of the galaxy. Battles take place on planets and in space using a real time strategy gameplay system. The game was praised for its style and ability to immerse players in Star Wars battles.